Holy.. What the.. Did you guys watch that game? The Lions came out and did exactly what they were expected to do last night without causing ulcers all over the tri-county area. They beat a sub-par team soundly and never really gave the Giants a chance to get in the game, and Eli produced so many pouty faces, the Vegas odds makers probably lost count. That was one of the more dominating performances you’re going to see from the Lions and a very promising start to a season for a team with moderately high expectations, at least from some people. 13-3 express baby!!!
It wasn’t all perfect for the Lions but there’s plenty of good to come out of this game, I’ll go over the good and the bad pretty quickly, no use dragging it out though since you probably watched the game for yourself. But in case you didn’t, here’s this…
- No second half penalties
- Technically there were no dropped passes, although Ebron could’ve easily had one, 1st round talent!
- No turnovers despite a butter-finger by Joique that the Leos recovered
- Stafford looked good, the girls are starting to swoon
- Calvin was Calvin and he finally looks healthy, he also looks like he might be a robot and Ray Lewis called him the best player in the league
- The defensive line dominated the trenches, George Johnson continued to look good after a great preseason and Nick Fairley… uhhh
- Lions held the lead quite nicely and they also danced on multiple first down conversions a la Roy Williams circa 2009
- Lombardi’s offense was effective and kept NYG off balance defensively
- New defense forced two picks, but they were off of Eli, who now has 674,254 career multi-interception games
- The offense put up 417yds (not surprising) and the defense only gave up 197 (very surprising)
THE NOT AS GOOD
- Staff’s mechanics weren’t exactly great (see the 2nd TD), but can’t complain about the results
- An already thin secondary suffered what looks like a season ending injury to Bill Bentley who is currently in the process of changing his name to Bill Taurus
- The running game wasn’t stellar, but didn’t need to be… although Joique did get to show off his TD celly, which might be the best in the league
- Ebron didn’t have a single catch, in the game, at all
- Rookie kicker missed his first FG, but made two after that
- A lot of penalties in the first half, and some pretty bad ones at that, which extended a few of the Giants drives
On the first drive of the game, the Lions drove 80 yards in 5 plays including a 67yd TD from Staff to Calvin that included a nice little side step by Stafford and a completely blown coverage on CJ.
On the next Lions possession, Stafford led them on another long drive, going 69 on 9 plays capped off by yet another TD to Calvin, on what was a bit of an ill-advised throw by Stafford. Then again, throwing to Calvin is never overly “ill-advised”.
At the end of the first and going into the second quarter, the Giants had a long drive, extended by a couple bad penalties on the Lions. The drive lasted 13 plays, the Lions committed 33yds worth of penalties and Rashad Jennings finished it off by punching in a TD from the 1yd line.
After a missed FG by Nate Freese a few drives later, the Lions took a 14-7 lead to halftime.
On the first possession of the 2nd half, DeAndre Levy picked off Eli and the Lions capitalized with a FG from 28yds to take a 17-7 lead.
After yet another 3-and-out by the Giants the Lions led another 9 play drive, Freese was called on again from 27 and gave the Lions a 13 point margin.
On the very first play of the Lions next drive, Eli threw the ball to the wrong team again and safety, Glover Quin, was the recipient of this one.
The Lions proceeded to capitalize on the turnover yet again and Stafford ran one in from 5 yards out to give the Leos a 27-7 lead. I personally wish Staff would’ve dove into the endzone rather than trying to lower his shoulder as he crossed the goaline but he survived, so we live and we learn.
The Giants then responded with a 14 play drive and Rashad Jennings punched in another one from a yard out to pull the giants 7 points closer, but that’s all they’d get.
The Lions responded yet again with a TD run of their own, as Joique took it in from 3yds out and the Staff connected with Fauria for the two point conversion and that was it.
Final : 35-14 Leos.
Stafford finished 22-32 for 346 and the 2 TDs to go with the one rushing TD and no turnovers.
Joique and Reggie teamed up for just 66 yards on 24 carries and the one TD from JB. Calvin led the team in receiving (shocked face) with 7 for 164 and the 2 TDs, while Tate caught all 6 targets his way for 93 yards and Reggie also hauled in 6 catches for 49yds.
All together, Staff found 6 different receivers in the game.
On defense, Levy led the way with 9 solo tackles and the INT. Tulloch came up with 6 and Glover racked up 4 to along with his pick.
Suh had a good game, recording 3 tackles despite the constant double team and George Johnson ended up with a sack and a half, while Ziggy had the rest, for 1/2 a sack on the game.
Darius Slay had 3 passes defended and 3 tackles and actually played a very solid game, covering Victor Cruz for a lot of the game. Holding Cruz to 2 catches for 24 yards is an impressive feat.
Undrafted free-agent Isa Abdul-Quddus played well in the absence of James Ihedigbo and Don Carey.
A few quick first hand notes from our very own, Travis Schultz; A drunk guy, who started tailgating at 6am, wouldn’t sit down. One of the bigger days in Detroit sports in recent memory as the Tigers and Lions played back-to-back (and both won), and this guy probably didn’t remember a minute of it. Also, the usual season-ticket holder next to Trav, tore his ACL and will be placed on IR, our condolences to him. Last but not least, Ford Field is now serving Griffin Claw Norm’s Raggedy Ass Pale Ale, so keep that in mind if you’re looking to spend $14 and can’t figure out how to do it.
Next week the Lions continue their winning streak in Carolina, where it looks like Cam Newton will be back to get the start against them.
Get involved with us folks, we’re on twitter and facebook, you can find us for your damn self!!!!